Friday, June 28, 2013

Been Busy

I just realized that it has been over 2 months since I have posted! Definitely the longest stretch I have ever gone without writing. Life has just been so busy! We have been in the middle of a kitchen remodel these past months and it has consumed a lot of my free time--researching every detail of it. We still aren't quite done; we have the backsplash and floor to complete. Our next project is putting in French doors where there is currently a bay window and extending our deck to the end of our home. We filled in our back door in order to make our kitchen larger and therefore have no back door right now. It is a little inconvenient to get to our deck right now--through the garage and around the house. We will soon remedy this.

In addition to being busy with a kitchen remodel (and not having a sink or a stove for over 2 1/2 months!), I have just been busy with homeschooling and caring for 8 children! One big change occurred in my eating habits when I read "Trim, Healthy Mama" last November. I highly recommend this book. It has been great and I lost all of my baby weight much quicker this time. I usually hold onto 5 lbs. until I am done nursing, but by putting into action the principles outlined in the book, I lost all of it when Amalea was around 4 months old--without my milk supply suffering. In fact, Amalea is probably our chubbiest baby! I am also doing My Barre 3--an online workout--and loving it. A friend recommended it to me and I cannot say enough good things about it. Check it out! I also read a book recently called "You Can Change" by Tim Chester. It was one of the best Christian books I have ever read. Currently, I am reading "Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl" by Nate Wilson. It is also a fantastic book!

Katie, our friend that came to care for the children during the time of Truman's accident, got married in May and we went down to NC for the wedding. It was a double wedding: her sister, Rachel, got married the same day! It was so good to see all of our NC friends, whom we have not seen in 3 years! My friend Lori, who has 5 young boys, and her husband, Eric, hosted us for almost a week! They were so hospitable and laid-back and she is a great cook! The past 6 months have also seen us host Katie and various family members of hers for extended amounts of time when Katie came to visit Raphael. We have loved having them stay with us! The big news right now is that one of Katie's sisters is now courting a guy in our church! God is so good!

Truman is doing great! Almost everyone I run into wants an update on him. I am so thankful that so many still care about our little guy. He is developmentally right where he should be for a 2 year old. He loves trucks--he has a mild obsession with them--and is either playing with a truck or looking at trucks in books. He knows all the different kinds of trucks and construction equipment. It is so cute! Recently, he and Jonas starting sharing a room. I am so thankful for the "brothers" and that the Lord blessed us with another boy. Truman is such a sweet, unassuming little boy. He is very friendly and so tender-hearted (although he has taken lately to laying his entire body on top of Amalea when she is crawling).


Last week, the 5 oldest started running track through community ed. It has brought back so many memories! I just want to get out there and run with them. They are all fast, and a couple of them are REALLY fast! I am so proud of their willingness to jump right in and try a new sport. Their enthusiasm is contagious! The oldest 4 are also still participating in archery, outdoor in the summer.

Amalea is 10 months old and just took her first step. She goes with the flow, is a very content baby, but is also very feisty. She reminds us of Elyse.

That's it in a nutshell. I promise to post more frequently and I think Anna has a bunch of pictures to share!

In Christ, Laura



3 comments:

Christy said...

I always appreciate your book and workout suggestions. I had been eying up the Trim Healthy Mama book for a while but it was so expensive and I just didn't know if it was worth it. I decided to just bite the bullet and order it tonight though.

The Barre3 workouts look amazing! I have done Barre workouts before and love them but these look great.

Thanks!

Abby said...

Great to get an update! Hugs, Abby

Stacy said...

So glad you mentioned Trim Healthy Mama book! I had first read about it on Large Family on Purpose blog and had been thinking about it. Bought the book and have been free styling for 5 days and have lost 5 1/2 pounds. I know the weight loss will slow down...I have a total of 50 I want to lose as I' m only 5'1". I know their nutritional explanations!