Briefly, there was an accident on Wednesday, involving Truman, and he drowned. EMS was able to revive him and he in in the PICU at U of M. He is in critical condition. PLEASE PRAY!
Here is an update Cameron wrote for facebook this morning:
5/18/12 Cameron here….We wanted to try to give more detailed updates to help everyone to pray for specific things for Truman.
1. Truman remains on a special ventilator called an oscillator. This is needed due to the severe injury that has occurred to his lungs. The goal over the next 24 hours is to slowly decrease the settings on this ventilator and transition him to the regular ventilator. Please pray that he is able to tolerate the decreased settings and will be able to go to the regular vent. Please pray for healing of his lungs specifically.
2. During the first 24 hours Truman had a few seizures. These were detected by an EEG. We are told this is to be expected. The doctors started him on anti-seizure medication to prevent further seizures. The big question mark over all of this is his brain function. We won’t know for a while what the long-term effects will be. Please pray that there would be no further seizures. Please pray for healing and protection for his brain. Please pray for a fully restored Truman.
3. A big risk, considering how this happened, is infection. Truman had a lot of dirty water in his lungs. He is on an antibiotic and an anti-fungal as prophylaxis. Please pray for continued protection against infection, especially for his lungs (pneumonia) and his blood (sepsis).
4. Acid in Truman’s blood has been a challenge. The acid-base balance of the blood is controlled by the lungs and kidneys. Due to the lung injury and lack of oxygen the balance in Truman’s blood is off. They are working to restore that balance. Please pray that this balance is fully restored.
5. For Laura specifically – the days are good. The visitors and face book updates are encouraging. The nights are hard. Memories of what happened are replayed in her head and she gets overwhelmed with guilt and fear. Please pray for continual peace for her. Please pray for strength, joy in the midst of this trial.
Thank you for your prayers. May God be praised in all of this. Give Him praise!