Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Brussel Sprout Salad

I absolutely LOVE brussel sprouts! THIS is my favorite way to eat them. They don't last long in this house--almost all of my children share my love for this delectable tiny vegetable. We fight over the last ones in the serving dish! If you have never made brussel sprouts, try the recipe above--they are not mushy or bitter, dispelling brussel sprout's bad reputation.

I found a recipe for brussel sprout salad recently in a cookbook from the library and I knew I had to try it. With a few modifications, this is the version I am serving for dinner tonight. It is so good! (I sneaked a few bites! Shhhh!) ;)


Brussel Sprout Salad

16 oz. fresh brussel sprouts, rinsed
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds (I used pumpkin seeds and lightly toasted in a dry skillet for a few minutes)

2 T. good grainy mustard (I use Maille)
6 T. lemon juice
2 1/2 T. real maple syrup (my new way to sweeten!)
1 t. coarse salt
4 T. olive oil

Shred brussel sprouts in a food processor, or thinly slice. Add the dried cranberries (or you could use dried cherries or even raisins!) and the toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds. In a bowl, whisk together mustard, salt, lemon juice and maple syrup. Gradually add olive oil until emulsified. Pour over salad and serve!

It's that simple!

Enjoy!

In Christ, Laura

8 comments:

Dorsey said...

We love cooked brussel sprouts, but I've never tried them raw. What an unusual recipe. I think I'll give it a try.

Stacy said...

Can't believe I'm trying this today!!! Anything for my hubby...sacrificial love I say! Are the Brussel sprouts the only thing that gets mixed in the food processor- meaning when adding the cranberries and pumpkins seeds those are mixed in by hand?

laura mouro said...

Stay, yes, only the brussel sprouts get put in the food processor, but I see I am a day late! Did you like it? :)

Stacy said...

Getting ready to make it bc we had sick kiddos in the house. When you say shred do you mean like long slices like pulled pork shredded or chopped up in food processor?

Stacy said...

Getting ready to make it bc we had sick kiddos in the house. When you say shred do you mean like long slices like pulled pork shredded or chopped up in food processor?

laura mouro said...

I just used the shredder attachment so they were ribbon-like--it just save me chopping time. I will tell you that Elyse and I were the only big fans of this. My kids love brussel sprouts, but this has more of a strong flavor--a little bitter.

Stacy said...

It went over pretty well! My pickiest eater ate 2 servings of it. I would probably cut back on the lemon juice. Definitely will make again.

Sarah said...

Try adding a little bit of feta to the brussels sprouts and cranberry combination. It is really good!