Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Salt and Coming to the Table

After finishing reading Exodus I began to read Leviticus yesterday. This verse struck me, as if reading it for the first time--did you ever have that happen? It is one of those "light bulb" moments and you know the Holy Spirit is teaching you something.

Leviticus 2:13 says: "Season all of your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings; add salt to all your offerings."

Salt! What is the significance of the salt? What does "the salt of the covenant of your God" mean?

I read this in Matthew Henry's commentary: "The altar was the table of the Lord; and therefore, salt being always set on our tables, God would have it always used at his . . . as men confirmed their covenant with each other by eating and drinking together, at all which collations salt was used, so God, by accepting his people's gifts and feasting them upon his sacrifices, supping with them and they with him, did confirm his covenant with him."

God, even through this requirement in the law, this "rule", was communicating His love for His people and His desire to " dine with them"--to be in a relationship with them. Thus, salt is pointing to a fellowship meal with God--God's desire for a relationship with us, God's love for us! It is incredible to me that every detail listed in the Old Testament has such rich and significant meaning and ultimately points us to Christ! God invites us to His table, to eat with Him, and we can come because of Christ and what He accomplished for us through the cross. Thus, salt is a reminder of God's love!

I pray that my eyes may be opened more and more to the ways in which God reveals His love for me and His desire to be in fellowship with me! May I never take for granted that I can now come to the table, my filthy rags replaced with wedding garments of pure white, washed by the blood of the Lamb and I can dine with the king! That one verse says SO MUCH, doesn't it? At the heart of that one little requirement is the gospel!


In Christ, Laura

2 comments:

Z' Hodges said...

Hey Sister!! I wanted to check in and see how things were going in the family.

Take care and write me whenever you get a chance. I still want to know how you're doing instead of going through Lori. LOL

Zinnada<><

Miranda said...

Hey - you been getting my emails? Thinking of you lately, hope you are doing good. Love you :)