Monday, July 27, 2009

Turning a Corner

I really believe we have turned a corner with Abbie. It has been amazing to be on this adoption journey and to see what God has done. Like I wrote before, I really don't think any of the negative "behaviors" Abbie displays are the "real" Abbie. I have heard from SO many of you that your adopted children do the same things. I think that this is proof that these behaviors are comparable to symptoms of a disease (not saying RAD is a disease, in an earlier post I described it as a "normal" reaction to what these children have been through--trauma!) in that they are manifestations of being hurt, fearful, anxious. Once a child begins to trust and attach the "real" person comes out.

Abbie is shining! She has become the real her and it is so fun to finally get to know who she is. She has likes and dislikes. She has a sense of humor! She is funny. I never knew she was funny! She makes me laugh. She has these great expressions when she is in a teasing mood. She even has a dimple high on her cheek that I never noticed before because she was never really smiling even when she was smiling. I feel like I have a new child! Literally, she is becoming a different kid. She is asking me questions, good questions. She is learning to speak correctly, she is playing more, she is accepting correction and moving on. God is doing a work in her heart. She still continues to test us, but she is now "reachable".

Thank you all so much for being on this journey with us, for letting me share so much of this trial with you. Thank you for all of your encouragement, kind comments, emails and gifts! I know many of you are going through the same thing with your adopted children. I also know that the things I have blogged about with Abbie are things that many in the adoption community are not honest about. It is difficult to find someone who will tell you like it really is and I really think that has to change. People need to know that they can reach out to others, that they can share their struggles, that they can be honest. I needed that during the darkest times. I needed hope. God has really showed me how important it is to be transparent with our struggles and not try to hide behind the facade of tranquil domesticity. We have needed prayer like never before and I am so thankful to my family and friends for standing in the gap for us. Your support has meant so much to us. The body of Christ is amazing.I know that we still have a long way to go, but I believe that Abbie is healing and will continue to grow in her love and attachment to us, just as we are with her.

In Christ, Laura

7 comments:

staci said...

Blessings can take lots of work. Thank you for being a servant of God and pushing through these trials. I appreciate your honesty. How exciting to see a real kid emerging - no greater blessing!!!

Renee said...

I am so glad to hear this! WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL NEWS!

MomInTheTrench said...

I am so happy. God is love. . .who better to fix this problem of not being able to do so? Thanks for sharing. We'll continue praying!

Wife to the Rockstar said...

Praise God Laura. I am THRILLED.

I told you it would come. And you are going to just start seeing more and more of her.... more good days!!!!

laura mouro said...

Thank you!

Things really are improving!

In Christ, Laura

paige said...

This is wonderful news! I am so happy to hear things are getting better!!!

Laurel said...

I don't know if you have checked in on my blog lately ... but I have been posting quite a bit about the TOUGH stuff. We are in the middle of an adoption CRISIS, and I am not going to be "hush-hush" about it, as some in the adoption community would like me to be.

Thanks for the honesty!

Laurel