Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's A . . .

We had a fun day today that began with me rushing the children out the door very early this morning, and in the freezing cold, to go up to the hospital to meet Cameron and have the ultrasound. We were all excited and after a few moments, Daddy announced the sex of the baby. He got several good pictures which are now on our fridge.

So, I guess I will end the suspense. Contrary to the results of the poll . . .

We are having another girl.

Yes. Another girl. Six girls. One boy. I know it IS possible for us to make boys, since we already have one, but for some reason God wants us to have a gaggle of girls.

We ARE excited, especially Jonas, who can retain his "special-ness" as the one and only boy. Even though I was not surprised since I suspected it was a girl, the news that I am going to have girl #6 is still sinking in. I guess what I am trying to say is that this baby being a girl is not shocking, but the fact that it is ANOTHER girl is shocking! Does that make sense?

Now, we begin the arduous task of choosing the right name. We did come up with a name that would honor our grandmothers, but those old names have made a come-back and this child would not have an original name if we go this route. I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, we have enjoyed the tradition of honoring our relatives by choosing family names for our children's middle names (such as Jonas Antelo, Katria Bragan, Elyse Rozen, Ruth Janel, and Haven Aleeya. Anna Sofya was named for the Hagia Sofya in Turkey--the oldest church in the world). On the other hand, I don't like overly popular names. I don't want my children to be one of so many so-and-so's. Therefore, we could suck it up and stick with this popular name-combo, or we could forge ahead and look for a more unique moniker. Naming a child is just so difficult! Good thing we have another 6 months to fret over it! :)

In Christ, Laura

12 comments:

Ginny said...

How exciting! I voted girl, by the way :) I want to know the family name you came up with!

dkt said...

Yea! I was right!! I voted girl! Having a hard time over names? Just wait until you're planning all those weddings! :-)

Congratulations again! :-)

Wife to the Rockstar said...

Congratulations!!!

Little girls sure are a blessing!

Tereasa said...

Congratulations to Jonas!

Tanya said...

Congrats on your girl:) I know you will come up with a beautiful name for her.

Rachel Marie said...

My husband is shaking his head right now- as I told him this! We have one boy, four girls and he's convinced that if we have any more they will be girls. And he's scared- of paying for weddings and having his "heart broken" when his girls marry! Congratulations! And as everyone tells my son, Jonas will make some woman very happy someday as he will have so much insight into how to treat a woman :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Laura! A baby girl!!!:) Oh, how I would love the color pink in my house!! We have been blessed with two boys that are 10 and 5. Blessings to you and baby girl.
AmyF from East TN

Crystal said...

Congratuations!!!!!!! Not that you are asking my opinion, but I say go original. I like names that are more original, especially for girls : ) God Bless your new little one and you all in 2009!!

Kami said...

JUst like the Bowens!! Congrats! We are so excited for you.

Amy said...

Congratulations!!! So excited for your family! Amy

a Tonggu Momma said...

Congratulations!!!! We had the opposite in our family - my Aunt Jean is one girl among seven boys. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! :) t aka trish