Monday, January 28, 2008

Today's News.

Cameron took Jerome to the dentist today and surprisingly he has NO cavities! Amazing. What looks like cavities is actually stains from brushing his teeth with a stick. He does, however, have to have a few teeth "wiggled" out next week in order to make room for some permanent teeth that are coming in. The dentist also confirmed what we were already thinking: that Jerome is 6 going on 7. He has permanent teeth on the bottom, but not on the top. However, both teeth on the top are loose and she said they will most likely come out in the next few weeks.

Jerome did GREAT at the dentist. He had to have a lot of tarter scraped off under the gum line, which was probably pretty uncomfortable, and he didn't complain at all. Pretty good for someone who has never been the dentist. The hygienist let him choose 2 prizes for being so good!



The girls and I stayed home, did school, and moved Elyse's clothes out of the nursery, which Haven is now in. We transferred the clothes down to the "girl's room", making her move to a big-girl-bed official. She is doing great with the transition. She does cause a little mischief at bedtime, but she wouldn't be Elyse if she didn't!



After a quick lunch of, you guessed it, leftovers, the kids played outside in "the bush", otherwise known as our woods. They are making their own "Roxaboxen"--this is the title of a great children's book about a group of children who make their own little pretend town out of rocks, sticks and such. My children have a habit of acting out any story we read. Actually, I think all children act out what they input--tv shows, movies, video games or books. My kids just don't see any tv and very little videos so they mainly use books for their pretend play. Jerome and Ruth are starting to do this, too--but they usually take on the character of whoever is assigned to them, such as a sister or a dad.



It is so neat to see Jerome and Ruth laughing, carefree, running through the yard, swinging and yelling "Mommy, look at me!" They have changed so much since coming. They played when they came, but were SO quiet while they played and didn't smile. They just played with a straight face. They didn't initiate any conversation, but only answered yes or no questions. Now, they talk continually, they dance, laugh, run and just play, smiling, as children should. It is so good to see.



Later, after "rest-time", we will take a walk, maybe go down to our friend's house to see the river and soak up some of this beautiful sunshine and warmer weather. For now, I am enjoying a cup of coffee and listening to Jonas sing "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs three, five and six", over and over and over. He and Anna don't take naps, so they alternate where they take their rest-time. Today is Jonas' day upstairs. He is singing and doing a puzzle. Anna is down in the playroom having a tea party with her doll. Oh, good--he moved onto a new song "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, sayeth the Lord, sayeth the Lord. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but overcome evil with good." See!! These things DO stick in their heads! We DO need to be so careful about what our children watch and listen to.

In Christ,
Laura

9 comments:

Gabrielle said...

where did those songs come from? What cd or tape, please share!~Gabby

laura mouro said...

They are from a cd I got with the Sonlight curriculum. I returned the curriculum, but not the cd. That is where I got the "Advetures in Missions" cd from Navigators. I think it is called A to Z or something like that--it is out in the car (or the bus, whichever you want to call it). It is produced by a Christian family and is about 24 scriptures put to music. They are SO catchy. Even Elyse has memorized the verses and Ruth is starting to, as well.

I bet if you go to the website for Sonlight and look under their Bible curriculum you can find it. I will check for you.

Laura

laura mouro said...

It is called "Sing the Word! From A to Z." by the Harrow family. Very good and they have others, as well.

Laura

Gabrielle said...

thanks, I'll check it out..we really should try the phone sometime! ~Gabby

Anna Morrison said...

so refreshing. i love reading your heart, laura. i am going to scroll on down and read more.
so glad to be able to read about your journey.

laura mouro said...

Thanks, Anna. I have enjoyed reading a little of your blog, as well. Maybe our kiddos can meet one day soon!

Gabby--ah, yes, the phone. I haven't been on that too much lately, as you can probably imagine. You will never believe it! We finally have cell phones. Next time I am in the car, I will have to call you. I can't really get interrupted there, can I?

Laura

Anonymous said...

We have three cd's from seedsmusic.com for our kids. They are all scripture verses that are catchy as well. Gabriel loves to listen to them and tries to sing along with them too. If you go to the website you can listen to a piece of each song or if you want to borrow one you are welcome to.
Alyson Rhino

Jen said...

Laura,

Roxaboxen is a great book!

I second the recommendation for the Seeds CD's (all scriptures set to GREAT music).

Also, I'm sure your dentist knows what he is talking about, but I just thought I'd let you know that our kids teeth falling out seems to be ahead of schedule (our 4.5 year old already has 2 permanent teeth!) and I've heard that other Liberian children who are adopted seem to lose their teeth early too. . .

Ginny said...

We too love Roxaboxen! Time to pull it off the shelf again. My sister keeps telling me to check out the sonlight site. I am going to order that CD! I had been looking for the Adventures in Missions as well, will check for it. I just got my first paperback swap book in the mail. A hardback copy of Eric Carle's Mister Seahorse (Keats' fav.) in like new condition!!! So very cool.